Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wuthering Heights Part II

Good news, Heathcliff, Catherine, and Emily Bronte are all dead.  There will be no sequel!  It is impossible to read this novel and not realize Emily Bronte’s gift for writing.   I am disappointed that she wasted this talent on such dark dismal characters.  I found it strange that two families would want to live their lives together and secluded from the rest of the world.  I believe that since the two families just talked with each other it created some dysfunctional problems and led the characters to behave in strange ways.  Catherine always seems to be running off and never telling anyone where she is going.  This never seems to do her much good because someone always finds out. 
Between these two families someone always seems to be sick whenever they decide to get together.  For example, when Catherine and Nelly go to visit Linton they find that he is frail and ill.  Also, on the way home from a visit both Nelly and Catherine’s father become ill and Catherine has to nurse them back to health. 
If I was asked to create a soundtrack for a movie based from this book it would include tortured cat screams and nails on a chalkboard.  Much like the weather in this book, every aspect seems dark and depressing.  I believe that Nelly sums up the mood the best when she says, “I believe the dead are at peace: but it is not right to speak of them with levity.”

6 comments:

  1. Oh my! Don't hold back! Cat screams... wow....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is weird that two families would want to live separate from the rest of the world. And weird how someone is always sick. This is one of the books i was thinking about reading but didnt. i might have to if i find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. The cat screams. Intense comment. I like it!
    Has Emily Bronte written any other books? Because I would be interested to see if the other ones are as depressing.
    I think there should have been one day in the summer when the weather was beautiful. I would like to know how the characters would react to that. They'd probably die. Which would have been okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna there was one day that was nice! remember the first time Cathy and Linton were going to ride horses together and Linton was being all "oh! I'm too sick! I have lay on this log all day!" I remember reading that Cathy said it was pretty close to her perfect day.
    In a way they did die, because none of them had any fun and they just wasted the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this book was crazy depressing, I really want to know how Emily Bronte managed to come up with this story line. I feel like both of the families needed to get out into the world a little and realize that there was more to life than what they were living!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that this book was crazy depressing, I really want to know how Emily Bronte managed to come up with this story line. I feel like both of the families needed to get out into the world a little and realize that there was more to life than what they were living!

    ReplyDelete